Thursday, 15 February 2007

Post-Valentine post

I came home in a rush yesterday afternoon after hitching a ride with someone from the office. My husband, Simon, and I work in the same office but he had to stay late and I had cupcakes to bake, so I opted to leave early.

I asked our childminder to drop off my four-year-old son, Lucas, early so he wouldn't miss the fun of making chocolate cupcakes. He and I prepared the batter and poured it into the muffin pan. Unfortunately, our top oven decided to go mental last night and burst out into flames in the middle of the baking process so I had to wait until I had cooked dinner in the main oven before I could put the poor little cakes back in the oven again. So what was supposed to be a nice Valentine treat for Simon and Lucas is lying untouched in a big tub in the kitchen, waiting anxiously to be eaten and judged later today.

We normally don't celebrate Valentine's Day in our household, although Simon made attempts to make it a romantic day in the past, attempts which I resisted. This year, though, as part of my resolution to embrace my arty, romantic, domesticated side, I decided to buy a present for Simon and cook a nice dinner for him and Lucas. I managed to get the present, but didn't quite manage the nice dinner I had pictured in my mind. I still managed to serve my boys Swedish meatballs, curly fries and petits pois swimming in gravy and cranberry sauce, which they loved. And of course, the cupcakes had to be replaced by something less sophisticated (ha) so the boys had a few pieces of Green & Black's white and mint chocolates instead.

Anyway, right now I am eagerly awaiting a couple of Japanese crochet pattern books I ordered from eBay. I've been trying for ages to finish the amigurumi cat that I started crocheting a couple of weeks ago, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to crochet, so every time I saw something out of place, I undid my work and started over again. Sigh. One day my fingers will get used to doing crochet again. I shouldn't really be tough on myself as I had not crocheted for almost twenty years. I'll post pictures of my work next time I log on to this blog.


                                     This is the cover of the amigurumi pattern book I ordered.


                                        And this is from inside the other book I bought. Isn't that 
                                        lovely? I'll definitely make this one as soon as I get the book.

No comments: