Thursday, 26 April 2007

on being good

Poor little Lucas had a nasty accident yesterday evening while playing with his dad. He was jumping on Simon when his nose went smack right against Simon's knee. There was so much blood flowing from his nostrils that Simon and I were nearly as petrified as he was. His nose isn't broken though, and he recovered after about half an hour. As Simon said, I hope this is the worst thing that he'll have to go through this year. I don't think I'll be able to cope with so much distress, especially after Bump comes out!

Not much crafting going on here, as I'm finding it more and more difficult to move about. I ran out of yarn for the baby blanket that I'm making, but I'm hoping that it will be available again this weekend at the market stall where I got it. I have lots of WIPs, but not enough energy to finish them. My time is being taken up by work and getting the spare room ready for Bump's arrival.

Simon brought the cot down from the loft last weekend, and I'm planning to sand and paint it white on Saturday. My Nutshell white gloss arrived in the post yesterday. It is incredibly expensive, but it's natural and formaldehyde-free, so it's the best paint to use for baby stuff. I told Simon I'm not going to use regular gloss again after our dreadful experience painting Lucas's room last year. The awful smell lasted for weeks, and Lucas had to stay in the spare room for some time before he could enjoy his newly decorated room.

Our Cotton Bottoms nappy system arrived on Monday, and you wouldn't think it, but Simon and I were so excited as we opened the big box containing the nappies, wraps, and liners. I washed the first set at once, and lovingly folded them and put them away in Bump's chest of drawers. We're practically ready for her to come out, but I do hope she doesn't just yet. I still have a lot of work to finish, and Simon still has an exam to take, so we're praying that she'll be a good little baby and come out on her due date.

I borrowed a whole load of books from the library again (although I'm still holding on to Jan Eaton's 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns and 200 Crochet Blocks, which Simon said is very greedy of me considering that there's a high demand for them in the library). I'm reading/enjoying Frida Kahlo's fascinating diary which she wrote towards the end of her life. I have just finished reading Leo Hickman's A Life Stripped Bare, an account of his year-long experiment on living an ethical life. A lot of his observations and feelings resonated with mine, and on Saturday I had an hour-long discussion with my friend E about these. More on that later.

And, because I am going to have to make do with a smaller budget in the next six months or so, I also borrowed books on saving money. One of them is The Money Diet by Martin Lewis, which has a lot of practical advice on making the most of your hard-earned money. The other one is The Money Goddess by Paula Hawkins, a book on personal finance aimed at women. I'm enjoying both, although I like Lewis's straight-to-the-point approach better. Hawkins decided to weave a bit of fiction into her book, so it feels like you're reading what Bridget Jones would go through if in case she decided to overhaul her financial life. Which is a bit patronizing, I think, but then again, maybe that's what most women want.

No comments: