Thursday, 1 May 2008

maira!

Just found this short film on one of my favourite artists in the whole wide world, Maira Kalman. I could gush all day about her work. I've bought a number of her children's books for Lucas (Next Stop Grand Central is his favourite) and I was so pleased to hear last year that she had published The Principles of Uncertainty, which was first serialized in the New Yorker. I got Simon to buy a copy for me as a Christmas present. (I actually ended up with two copies because the first one that Amazon sent had a tear on the flyleaf, so Simon asked for another copy and they said that the return postage would cost them a lot so they just gave the first copy to him!) I've spent hours just leafing through the pages, studying the pictures. Maira's pictures, at first glance, look like they were painted by a child. But if you take a closer look at them, you'll be amazed at the colours and details. And of course, there's that childlike innocence in her pictures that just draw you in and don't leave you feeling intimidated. Sigh. Anyway, enjoy the video!

Edit: The original video I linked to has disappeared, so I've replaced it with this one of Maira's TED talk in 2007. If you don't know TED, go visit the website—it contains a wealth of talks by a great variety of famous and not-so-famous people, each one with ideas worth thinking about.

No comments: