Wednesday, 29 July 2009

a little bit of tote-fulness*

Just before school broke up for the summer, I decided to give Lucas's teachers handmade presents. Given that I had no means to bake cakes nor time to crochet some nice useful things, I was forced to rely on my crude sewing skills (and by sewing skills, I mean on the sewing machine, because I can sew by hand quite well). Hence, these little tote bags:



Each bag is just the right size to put a wallet, a small notebook and little toiletries in, and there's a pocket just big enough for a small mobile. Or some pens. Or a compact mirror. Or Post-its. See, the possibilities are endless.



I loved the fabric that I used as lining. It's so colourful and feminine. I have some left over which I'm planning to make into a skirt or a dress for Sofia.



I put a little bag of bath bombs and Lucas's handmade thank-you card in each bag. The boy was pleased with the results (he was a slave driver, reminding me every chance he got to finish the bags already please!).

I made four in two days. Yes, that's how slow I am. I could tell you about how the bobbin threader kept acting up and the needle thread kept breaking and how I had to do an unscheduled clean-up of the machine to get it going, but I'd rather not. The bags turned out well and the teachers said they loved the bags and the thoughtfulness that went into making them.


*I hate puns, but I couldn't resist this one.**

**I hate puns because they remind me of tabloid headlines and I hate tabloids.

1 comment:

april_runner said...

Wow, those bags are beautiful - you really are a talent! :)

Maddy x