Friday, 17 September 2010

in praise of the cast iron skillet

I had never owned, nor planned to own, a cast iron skillet. I always thought of it as too heavy and too fiddly to season and clean. But then, a few weeks ago, I visited a wonderful baking site and saw this recipe. And my heart skipped a beat and decided that it was in love with the idea of baking in a cast iron skillet.

Fortunately for my bank account, I found one on Amazon that was selling for a song. Well, not literally, of course. But it was five pounds! Even cheaper than my el cheapo saucepan that I use for boiling rice and potatoes! I knew that it was Fate telling me to get the skillet. This was not going to be a doomed love affair.

Yesterday, | made my first attempt at baking in my now-seasoned skillet. And of course, the first recipe just had to be the one that set on my path to becoming a skillet devotee. Instead of red plums, however, I used the leftover apricot halves from when I made Danish pastry a few days ago.

The result? Delicious perfection. The cobbler cooked perfectly in the skillet. The browned butter lent a slightly salty contrast to the creaminess and sweetness. I thought it would come out a bit dense, but it wasn't at all. I served it warm with dollops of vanilla ice cream. It was a big hit with the family, even with Sofia who can be very choosy when it comes to food.

I'm afraid I don't have a decent photo of the cobbler before it was served. It just got gobbled up so fast. As you can see, we ate half of it last night. Which means we have another half to look forward to this evening!



'I have a feeling this is bad for my waistline,' the hubby said as he was eating the cobbler. I just smiled at him. He didn't need to know that almost 150 grams of butter and 200 grams of sugar went into this delectable dessert, did he?

Next on my list of goodies to make with my skillet: apple cake!

No comments: